Tuna Patties with Olive Recipe
This recipe is a simple yet tasty variation of the old favorite – tuna patties. The addition of chopped olives and a pasta sauce definitely take these tuna patties well away from the ordinary.
Tuna Patties with Olive Ingredients (serves 4):
|sebago or golden delight potatoes, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces||1 lb 4 oz||600g|
|can tuna in springwater, drained, flaked||1 lb||425g|
|brown onion, finely chopped||1|
|pitted black olives, finely chopped||1/2 cup||125 ml|
|egg, lightly beaten||1|
|plain flour||2 1/2 tablespoons|
|olive oil cooking spray|
|oven-roasted garlic and onion tomato pasta sauce||1 cup||250 ml|
|steamed green vegetables, to serve||1 lb||500 g|
Tuna Patties With Olive Method:
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl and then mash until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add tuna, onion, olives and egg to the potato. Mix well. Add 2 teaspoons flour and stir until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into 1.5cm-thick patties.
- Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Place remaining flour on a plate. Coat patties in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot. Spray both sides of patties with oil.
- Cook patties, in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden and heated through.
- Place on a baking tray and keep warm in oven.
- Meanwhile, pour pasta sauce into a saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Place patties on plates. Spoon over sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with steamed vegetables.
The prepared tuna patties can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before cooking.